Slow Roasted Beef Brisket with Homemade Barbeque Sauce
- 1.5 – 2 kg beef brisket
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup tomato sauce or 1 tin Italian chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp mustard
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- The night before you plan to cook and serve the brisket, combine the salt, celery salt, garlic powder, onion powder and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the brisket in a large roasting pan and trim the fat if it is very thick, but leave at least a 1 cm layer on the bottom.
- Moisten the brisket with the Worcestershire sauce, then sprinkle the top and bottom of the brisket with half of the mixed seasonings, reserving the other half.
- Cover tightly with foil and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 120 ̊C.
- Remove the brisket from the fridge and uncover. Sprinkle it with the remaining seasonings, then cover it with foil again and place it in the oven to roast for 5 hours (approximately 1 hour per 500 g of meat).
- Remove the brisket from the oven and remove the aluminium foil and pour off the fat.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar and barbecue sauce, then pour it over the brisket.
- Increase the oven temperature to 180 ̊C, then return the brisket to the oven, uncovered, and roast an additional 30 minutes to an hour, or until the sauce is hot and the meat is tender.
- Slice or chop and serve.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan.
- Add onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat. Do not brown onions, simply sweat them. They should be translucent in appearance.
- Next, add smashed garlic and sauté for 15 seconds.
- Place remaining ingredients in saucepan and simmer uncovered on low for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it reaches a thickened consistency. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow the sauce to cool completely. Strain to remove onion and garlic. Use immediately.
The Gravel Hill 2016